1. To verify, authenticate and authorize your use of our products or services
To conduct ‘Know your Customer’ and risk assessments in order to authenticate and authorize your use of our products or services depending on if you are a merchant, consumer or customer, and your choice of service or product. The type of personal information typically required is Identity, Contact and Financial information. This is necessary in order for PayU to assess your application under contract and necessary for our legal obligations under certain laws.
2. To process payment transactions made through our Platforms
The types of personal information we require to provide a product or service and the legal ground depends on the specific payment methods made available by PayU in your country.
PayU offers multiple types of international and local payment methods, which are subject to product specific service terms (contracts) and legal obligations. For example, when PayU offers card payment processing as a payment’s aggregator on a Platform, PayU processes personal information received from merchants such as transaction details, and if payment is by card (cardholder details such as name on card) in order complete the payment by you to the merchant to purchase a product or service. PayU is often a processor of personal information on behalf of the merchant who is acting as controller (responsible party). In other cases, certain payment transactions require you to provide personal information directly to us onto our Platform in order for us to process a transaction – in that instance the purpose is to process the payment for you.
Please click here and the select the country of choice to find out the specific details of the payment methods available in your country.
3. To protect our business and to ensure compliance with the law
We process personal information to meet the requirements of applicable laws, regulations, standards, rules, codes and the requirements of financial institutions with which PayU must comply. This includes:
- authenticating and validating payments to mitigate and protect against identity theft or fraud. To do this, some of your personal and non-personal information may be collected by PayU directly or delivered to PayU by merchants. PayU will use this personal information to enter into the PayU fraud systems available for this validation and will remain there for future reference and cross-reference of information required to validate the payments;
- consulting and reporting your personal information and behaviour on monetary obligations to legitimately constituted credit, financial, commercial or service risk centres, or to other financial institutions, under applicable law;
- verifying your identity and comparing your information to verify accuracy for reporting obligations under applicable law or payment scheme rules;
- processing your personal information if you exert your right of refusal on purchases made or if your transaction is, for example, the subject of payments dispute or chargeback with a financial institution; and
- processing your personal information to ensure business continuity of our businesses and appropriate disaster recovery for our Websites, Apps, Platforms, services and products.
4. To manage our relationship with you
If you contact us or otherwise give us your Contact information (for example by registering, by completing an enquiry form on our Website/s, or by subscribing to receive support, and service status communications from us or security or fraud monitoring alerts), we may process your personal information:
- to inform you about your products or services with us and any changes to these products or services and any associated legal documents;
- to notify you if there is any interruption of services or products;
- to ask you to provide information on how we can improve or develop services or products and to otherwise effectively communicate with you;
- to provide you with service assistance and problem solutions or to contact or send you notifications related specifically to the services or products we offer you;
- to use your personal information in transactional or fraud monitoring reports (or both) as part of the performance of our contract. You have the option to unsubscribe from such reports in accordance with the terms of our contract. Be sure to check with your finance team before you unsubscribe.
5. To market our products and services and related services to you
We may use personal information to market our products and services and to notify you about events, offers, sponsorships, marketing programmes and similar marketing campaigns. For more information please see Marketing.
6. To conduct research and to develop and improve our products and services
We may use personal information that we collect:
- to research and gain insights into market trends and needs and to develop or innovate our technologies, products and services to meet such market trends and needs. We may use machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques to conduct research to gain such insights;
- to improve and personalize our merchant and customer relationships;
- to provide merchants with statistical insights and reports based on data we receive from them;
- to use your personal information, in line with applicable laws and regulations, so that we can provide credit analysis and related credit services.